WebWriter is built to edit explorables, which are…
- open, conformant with OER principles allowing easy reuse
- multimedia, combining many media types such as text, audio, video, etc.
- interactive, allowing users to interact and receive feedback
- web based, built with client-side web standards and deployable on the web
- file oriented, available as all-in-one, standalone, offline-capable files
At the core, explorables are HTML documents. Viewed as data structure, an explorable is a DOM tree that be displayed by browsers and serialized to or parsed from HTML.
|Concept||DOM representation||File representation|
|Package||-||node package (directory)|
To authors, explorables are the main entity they are creating with WebWriter. To users, explorables (with embedded widgets) are the only part of WebWriter they experience at all.